Everyone loves a good potato salad, especially during the summer months. There’s something about it that just screams “summer”! Today, I want to share with you a unique and absolutely delicious recipe for potato salad that will blow your mind. Inspired by Japanese cookery, this recipe puts a twist on the classic potato salad we all know and love. So, let’s dive in and learn how to make this mouthwatering dish!
Gather Your Ingredients
First things first, let’s gather all the ingredients we need for this recipe:
- 4 medium-sized golden potatoes
- Half a carrot
- Some cucumber slices
- A couple pieces of ham (or any other meat you prefer)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/3 cup of Hellmann’s mayo (also known as Best Foods)
Now that we have all our ingredients ready, let’s get started with the cooking process:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. This will help them cook faster.
- Boil the potato slices in salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, grate the carrot using a fine-toothed grater. Slice the cucumber and ham into small pieces.
- Sprinkle some salt on the cucumber slices and let them sit in a colander or strainer to remove excess moisture.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and transfer them to a bowl. Use a potato masher to lightly mash them, leaving some chunks for texture.
- Season the potatoes with salt, sugar, black pepper, and a dash of instant dashi powder for that extra smoky flavor.
- Add the grated carrot, cucumber slices (after removing excess water), ham, and Hellmann’s mayo to the bowl. Gently fold all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Allow the potato salad to cool to room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once chilled, serve this delicious potato salad alongside your favorite grilled dishes, like hot dogs and hamburgers.
Tips and Variations
- Feel free to add or substitute any vegetables you have on hand. This recipe is highly adaptable and perfect for using up leftovers in your refrigerator.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have instant dashi powder. The potato salad will still be delicious without it.
- Hellmann’s mayo adds the perfect creamy texture to this potato salad. If you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time!
That’s it! You’re all set to enjoy a bowl of homemade Hellmann’s potato salad. The combination of flavors and textures in this recipe will surely leave you wanting more. So, why not give it a try and impress your friends and family at your next summer gathering?
For more delicious recipes and tips on fighting food waste, head over to El Reno Ok. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your loved ones and spread the joy of homemade potato salad!