Sweet potatoes aren’t just for Thanksgiving! Learn how to cook sweet potato in oven and you’ll be able to eat it year round, or at least until the next holiday comes along. Sweet potatoes are so healthy and delicious that they should be part of your regular meal rotation.
- Wash the sweet potato.
- Cut the sweet potato in half, lengthwise. This will help it cook more evenly and quickly.
- Place both halves on a baking dish with some water (about 1/4″ deep). The water helps steam the sweet potatoes and keeps them from drying out while they’re cooking. You can also wrap them in aluminum foil if you don’t have a baking dish that’s big enough for both halves at once; just be sure to poke holes in the foil so steam can escape!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how large your sweet potatoes are–the times listed above are approximate only; check often after 45 minutes so they don’t burn!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Turn potatoes over halfway through cooking time so they brown evenly on both sides.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F
- Turn over after 10 minutes, and cook for another 10 minutes
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving
Learn how to cook sweet potato in oven.
You can cook sweet potato in the oven. To do so, you’ll need to bake it or roast it. There are other ways to prepare sweet potatoes, but these two techniques will give you delicious results that are perfect for a wide range of dishes.
To bake a sweet potato:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 C).
- Wash your sweet potato thoroughly under cool water, then dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel before cutting into desired pieces and placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil; this will help keep things from sticking when cooking! If there’s any dirt on the skin of your tuberous root vegetable, scrub gently with soap as needed–but don’t go overboard here because too much scrubbing could make those nutrients wash away from inside! You can also leave off washing altogether if it feels like too much work since most dirt should come off easily when slicing open at home anyway (if not then just cut off any remaining bits).
We hope that you’ve enjoyed learning how to cook sweet potato in oven. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below!