So you’ve decided that hard boiled eggs are the perfect protein for your next meal. Great! Here’s what you need to know about how long do you cook a hard boiled egg, so that it can be perfectly cooked every time.
What does it mean to boil eggs?
To boil an egg, you simply place it in boiling water. The process of cooking an egg in boiling water is called hard-boiling. The same technique can also be used for soft-boiling (the egg will be less cooked than if it were hard boiled) or poaching (the egg will be fully cooked).
How to boil an egg
How to boil an egg:
- Place the eggs in a pot and cover them with cold water, making sure there’s enough to cover the eggs by about an inch.
- Turn on the heat to medium-high and bring the water to a rolling boil before removing from heat immediately so you don’t overcook them (the yolk will be hard if you leave it in too long).
- Let sit for 15 minutes for medium-hard boiled eggs, 20 minutes for hard boiled eggs, or 25 minutes for extra firm ones that hold together well when cut open (like deviled).
Boiled Egg Safety Tips
- Don’t eat eggs that have been out of refrigeration for more than two hours.
- Don’t eat eggs with cracks or porous shells. If you do, bacteria can get into the egg and cause food poisoning.
- Change the water in which you boil your eggs at least every 10 minutes, or use a fresh batch of hot water after each change (about 1/2 cup per change).
How Long Do You Cook a Hard Boiled Egg?
You should cook your eggs for 10 minutes.
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a pan and add water to cover them by about 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat so that it simmers gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, drain off any remaining water and serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days (hard boiled) or 6 months (eggs packed in an airtight container).
If you have questions about cooking hard boiled eggs, please check out these tutorial videos.
If you have questions about cooking hard boiled eggs, please check out these tutorial videos. They are helpful and provide a good overview of how to cook hard boiled eggs. The videos are easy to follow, short and sweet. You can find them easily on YouTube or Google.
Now that you know how long to cook a hard boiled egg, go ahead and try this delicious recipe!