Cooking a turkey is no easy feat. The process can be long and unpredictable, but it doesn’t have to be! In order to ensure that your Thanksgiving dinner is delicious and cooked perfectly, we’ve put together this handy guide on how long it takes for a 16 lb turkey to cook.
You can cook turkey breast in an hour or less. A 16-pound bird will take about two hours to roast in a pan or on a rack in the oven, so if you’re cooking for a crowd and want to make sure everyone gets their share of meat on time, this is a good option.
You’ll also want to let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving since it will have been cooked at high heat and still be very hot inside. You can serve it with gravy made from drippings collected during roasting (or purchase ready-made gravy).
- A 16-pound turkey will take 12 to 14 hours to cook, though the exact time can vary depending on your oven and how cold it is.
- The larger the bird, the longer it will take. For example, a 20-pound turkey may require 16 hours in a 325 F oven; or you might want to start with a smaller bird and increase its size by adding an extra pound of stuffing per pound of meat (so 1 lb of stuffing for every 2 lbs).
Roasting times for a 16 lb whole turkey
A 16-pound turkey will take about 3 hours to cook. The larger the bird, the longer it takes to cook. A smaller turkey would be done in less time than this one.
How Long for a 16 Lb Turkey to Cook
How long it takes to cook a turkey depends on its weight. A 16-pound turkey will take about 21 hours to cook, while a whole turkey will take 12 hours and a turkey breast just 4 hours.
In addition, the internal temperature of your bird should reach 165 degrees F before you remove it from the oven. If you want some help keeping track of this process, try using an oven thermometer or smartphone app like FoodWise’s free Oven Roaster Timer app which allows users to set timers for specific steps throughout their cooking process (such as when they should add seasoning).
Keep in mind that the time it takes to cook a whole turkey varies by weight.
- Keep in mind that the time it takes to cook a whole turkey varies by weight.
- The larger the bird, the longer it will take to cook.
- However, there are other factors at play here too: how you cook your turkey and whether or not you carve it before serving can also affect cooking times significantly.
We hope this article has been helpful in providing you with information on how long it takes for a 16 lb turkey to cook. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below!