Table of Contents
Are you craving a delicious and easy-to-make dessert? Look no further than this fantastic recipe for Aunt Jemima Cornbread! Originating from Nuevo León, Mexico, this lightly sweetened cake made with corn will have your taste buds dancing with joy. So, put on your apron and let’s get cooking!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup of Aunt Jemima pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans (optional)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 ½ cups of corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- ¼ cup of water
Mixing It Up
- Start by pouring about ¼ cup of water into a blender. This will prevent the dry ingredients from clumping at the bottom.
- Add the pancake mix, sugar, and oil to the blender. Blend until everything is well mixed and forms a thick dough-like batter.
- Next, add half of the corn and blend it into the batter. This will give the finished cake a delightful texture. Then, add the remaining corn and pulse a few times to preserve some corn texture.
- If your blender struggles with the thickness, you can mix the corn into the batter by hand to help it along. For an added crunch, you can also mix in some chopped pecans.
- Preheat a lidded cast iron pot over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes. You want it warm enough to melt butter but not hot enough to burn it.
- Over another stove burner, preheat the lid of the pot over high heat.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the pot over medium heat, followed by the melted butter. Mix it around to coat the walls of the pot and prevent sticking.
- Pour the thick batter into the pot and spread it out gently. Cover the pot with the hot lid to bake the cake from the top as well.
- After about 7 minutes, the bottom of the cake should be nicely browned and no longer liquid. Run an offset spatula around the sides to loosen it, then carefully flip the cake onto a plate.
- If needed, add a bit more oil to the pot before sliding the cake back in with the cooked side up. Cover it again and cook it for another 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Use a toothpick to check if the cake is cooked all the way through. Once it’s ready, flip it back onto a plate to serve.
Time to Indulge
The final result is a lightly browned and crispy cake on the outside, and soft and moist on the inside. It’s simply irresistible! The rich flavors of sweet corn and caramelization will transport you to Mexico with every bite.
Enjoy your Aunt Jemima Cornbread plain, or pair it with a cup of coffee. For an extra touch of indulgence, try drizzling it with cajeta or caramel, sprinkle some nuts on top, and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This recipe is so versatile that you can also use the batter to make pancakes or waffles. The possibilities are endless!
So, what are you waiting for? Give this delightful Aunt Jemima Cornbread recipe a try and let your taste buds be delighted. Don’t forget to share your culinary masterpiece on Instagram and tag us @Maikohhhh with four h’s. We’d love to see your creations!
For more amazing recipes and cooking inspiration, visit El Reno Ok. Happy cooking!